Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Music & Christmas Movies

NOW, Christmas can be in the air! As the holiday has begun I am drawn to lot's of classic/fun/sweet Christmas movies. Along with renting/watching all my Christmas movies this month I'm pulling out all my Christmas music as well. What's your favorite Christmas movie, and music?

Top 15 BEST Christmas Movies Ever! (According to me, and in no particular order.)
1. Christmas Story - grew up watching this movie every year..."Ohhhhhh Fuuuuuuuuuuudggggggggggeeee!" "HO!" Long Pause. "HO!" Long Pause. "HO!"
2. Christmas Vacation - HILARIOUS! You should all know my favorite quote, "Why is the carpet all wet TODD? I DON'T KNOW MARGO!"
3. A Very Brady Christmas - a TV made movie that my parents recorded years ago, and is still to this day, a favorite. The Brady kids are all grown up and want to do a family Christmas. (Sadly, I can't find it anywhere on Netflix.)
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Real people version). "It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes, or bags! Maybe Christmas, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas …. perhaps … means a little bit more!" (Currently working on a cross stitch pillow with this quote.)
5. The Christmas Card - a new family favorite of about two years ago. Acting is silly, (my Bro loves this movie, and during dramatic moments him and I like to say, "Now that was an academy award winning performance!") but the story is just so CUTE! It's about a girl, Faith, who writes the troops in Iraq. One letter in particular reaches a certain soldier...and then love begins, in the heart of Christmas time, of course.
6. Jack Frost - part cartoon, part real people. Grab a box of tissues cause this movie is a tearjerker!
7. A Smoky Mountain Christmas - Dolly Parton stars in this fun family movie. Dolly Parton plays a Tennessee music star who is trying to get out of the camera lights when she comes upon a cabin with runaway children, and we can't forget there is a witch is in the story also. I know what you are thinking, but this was another great TV made movie, that as child, I fell in love with. Luckily my Bro was able to get a copy on VHS.
8. One Magic Christmas - seriously, grab TWO boxes of tissues for this wonderful Disney movie. Set in the mid 80's Mary Steenburgen stars as the Mom of a middle class family just trying to survive. During this time of "making ends meet" her family is struck with a tragedy. Soon a Christmas Angel comes and helps her remember the true meaning of Christmas. Oh shoot I'm crying just typing about this movie. (You can't get it on Netflix - kind of mad about that, but I own a copy on DVD that Santa got for me last year...he found it on Amazon.)
9. Prancer - I remember when my Daddio took my Bro and I to see this movie along with All Dogs Go To Heaven (double feature). The story is so touching and sweet, and it's gotta be if Sam Elliot stars in it!
10. A Charlie Brown Christmas - who didn't wait each year for CBS to play this cute little 30 minute movie. Well, I couldn't wait. My most favorite Christmas cartoon! “If it seems too complicated, make it easy on yourself—just send money. How about tens and twenties?”
11. The Preachers Wife - with Whitney Houston. Actually, it's been a long time since I have seen this one. I will be watching it this year. Netflix, just added it - top of my QE.
12. It's a Wonderful Life - if you don't love this movie then something is wrong with you. One of the best Christmas classics around! "Every time a bell rings, an Angel gets its wings."
13. Mr. Krugers Christmas - another wonderful Jimmy Stewart movie. I think the LDS church put this movie out long ago. It's a short sweet movie. On this LDS note I LOVE their five minute movie called The Nativity.
14. Home Alone (only the first one). "Keep the change you filthy animal!"
15. The Santa Clause (only the first one). Disney did it again with a sweet story about Christmas and family togetherness. SO many great one liners in this movie!

Top 15 Christmas Songs (Once again, no particular order, and this list is according to me!)
1. Jar's of Clay, God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen (Their whole album "Christmas Songs" is amazing too!)
2. Sarah McLachlan, Silent Night
3. Jimmy Eat World, Last Christmas (This has got to be my most played/favorite/cell phone ringer song of Christmas.)
4. Faith Hill, A Baby Changes Everything
5. Faith Hill, (again) Where Are You Christmas (From the real people Grinch movie.)
6. Carrie Underwood, What Child Is This
7. Paul McCartney, Wonderful Christmastime
8. Mannheim Steamroller, Carol of the Bells
9. Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Christmas/Sarajevo
10. Josh Groban, Little Drummer Boy (Not really a fan of him, but I do own his Christmas CD, and it's good!)
11. Starlite Singers, Christmas Shoes
12. Kenny Rogers, Mary Did You Know?
13. Glee Cast, O Holy Night (I'm a Gleek, gotta support yo's!)
14. Britney Spears, My Only Wish (I know, I know, I know...)
15. Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson, Wintersong (I also like Sara McLachlan's version - her whole Christmas CD is great though.)

NOW, get watching and listening -
Christmas will be here before we know it!!!

5 comments:

Lucashell said...

Oh I am so happy you didn't have Elf on there.. That movie totally annoys me.

I also am in Love with Josh Groban's voice I am so happy I have 23 days left to listen to him..

Anonymous said...

We tried watching Christmas Vacation the other day and thought it was so stupid that we turned it off. Funny, because I remember loving it when I was younger. I've probably seen the Brady Christmas, but I can't remember it. I like the cartoon Grinch movie, but not the new one. Sorry. I LOVED One Magic Christmas when I was younger, and I DVR-ed it and plan to watch it soon. I hope I still like it.

Love It's a Wonderful Life (my fave), Christmas Story, Home Alone (yes, 1st only), and Mr. Krueger's Christmas (always makes me cry). But I would add to the list White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street (the older one). I also like Scrooged.

I love the Weird Al Christmas songs: Christmas at Ground Zero and The Night Santa Went Crazy. Jews singing Christmas songs always turns out great!

Lib-Dawg said...

Shellie, I hate "Elf" that was one of the first movies I saw after my mission and I totally agree - annoying!!!

Libby Sr., What you don't like Christmas Vacation!!!! I am at a loss of words...And, you and Ethan need to add The Christmas Card to your netflix QE.

Anonymous said...

I just watched "One Magic Christmas" last night. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very sweet. Honestly, I could not remember the movie at all other than it had Mary Steenburgen. I'm trying to remember why I loved it so much when I was little. I must've been about the same age as the little girl and felt some sort of a connection. Or maybe I thought Santa Clause would bring me a dad (or make my parents remarry). I don't know. Anyway, I thought it was cute but not necessarily one of my top picks. "It's a Wonderful Life" is still top of my list.

Mrs Buchanan said...

Come on Elf is hilarious! I love Christmas movies, especially the cheesy Hallmark ones such as the Christmas Card, you should try a Boyfriend for Christmas ;)
Christmas music is the best, except for some of the new crap like Lady Gaga's Christmas Tree song. Christmas songs should not be dirty, that is blasphemy!