Sunday, August 9, 2009

Why Is It I LOVE to Road Trip???

Yet again I set out on the dusty road for a road trip to Boulder, Utah, Durango, Colorado, and Monument Valley, Arizona. I have to admit this was my first time to Colorado - minus the airport, but I am in love with what I saw in the state, and will definitely be going back...possibly to MOVE, but then you know how I am - always wanting to be somewhere besides Utah...
The trip started out Friday morning July 31, 2009 and my family and I headed up to Boulder Mountain to stay with our friends the Griffin's, in their cabin. The cabin was so nice, and the stay was wonderful! We had great friends to be surrounded by, wonderful food, and awesome weather! On Sunday we all drove down the Burr Trail. We did a little hike, and on the hike found some geocaching. We took the leigh and left a dollar and bracelet. Next year when we go back we'll check it out and see what's new. After our hike Jessie and I took the Burr Trail to Bullfrog to catch the ferry. Little did we know they take cash only, so we went with our original plan. I was so bummed, but I guess that's what happens when you don't stick to plan. That's a long story, and this story is already going to be long, so that is all you get about that detour.That evening we headed up through Monticello, and on to Durango. I didn't get any pictures of the cute little city Durango, but I fell in love with the town. They have a tourist train...Oh you know I'm going to look into that! We stayed the night and then were off to Mesa Verde. We spent all of Monday in the park exploring and going on the tours. It was a little frightening at times climbing up the ladders, and crawling through small tunnels. I was so pleased with Jessie - since she has a fear of heights.

After a day in the park we were off to the Four Corners - where the four states meet. New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. Can I just say we paid six dollars for five minutes of picture taking. Lame, but kind of cool?!?!?

That night we made it to Gouldings, in Monument Valley, and set up camp. We ate dinner and watched a movie then sweated in the heat all night long as we tried to sleep. If I go back again and end up camping I'll pick a cooler time of year. We spent that morning seeing the sights there, and of course getting our "Forrest Gump" picture, then headed on up to Page. We got to Page and stopped at the Glen Dam to eat some lunch and then drove home.
The best part of the trip was my new GPS Tracker that my friend Audra gave me for my birthday. It was such a help, I don't know how we ever did it with paper maps. KIDDING - I made to Alaska just fine with a good old fashion map. But, I love my new GPS.

We got home on Tuesday, and I realized that I am good for a long time before I take another trip. Trips are great, but so draining. It's time for a break in the traveling department, and my baby (car) needs to take a break too, especially if I'm going to run her to the ground. (I told my mom I was done traveling and she said, "Right! I'll believe it when I see it.") At least for a few months I'm good to just stay close to home.

8 comments:

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

big-ger-pic-tures!!! Glad you had a great trip. :) lol

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

I saw that Kirby Heyborne is having a concert in the park at Vernon Worthen Park tonight. I totally thought of you!

Anonymous said...

I've still never been to Colorado. Ever. Never even driven through it. Isn't that crazy?

I've always wanted to go to Mesa Verde. I'm so jealous! Looks like it was a fun trip. Probably really hot, too.

Mrs Buchanan said...

First, you are not the best speller. Second, I'm with mom, you'll be heading on another trip before long. Finally, this trip was so fun, and we never really argued, I'm pretty amazed. We still need to get a video of me attacking you for Libby Sproat.

Lib-Dawg said...

I fixed my spelling errors - thanks for a good laugh though. I was laughing pretty hard at them. I was to busy trying to figure out how to get my pictures together I didn't check my spelling.

Lucashell said...

How fun, looks like an awesome trip, I do agree with Jessie and your mom, you can't stay in one place for very long.

Twiddle Thumbs said...

We did part of that trip when brenner was little and it was fun. you are obsessed with movies, aren't you?

audra gave you a GPS and all you gave her was a rug?

Anonymous said...

Looks like great trip...
Thanks for sharing with us...


___________________
Melvin
We do your Marketing for best sales