Sunday, April 12, 2009

Peanut Butter Pie - OH MY!

While living in Alaska I fell in love with a pie, known as Peanut Butter Pie, from Glacier Brewhouse. With the thoughts of not going back I made sure that before I left Alaska this past year I would come home with a recipe of the pie. Sure enough with friends help and a lot of searching we found a recipe that is almost identical to this desirable pie. Last weekend my sister came and stayed with me, and for a fun activity we decided to make the pie. It was a little bit time consuming, but WELL WORTH IT IN THE END! I'm so excited to have a piece of Alaska right here in small little Kanarraville! MMMM - it was tasty, my mom especially loved it. Uh oh, that means I'm going to have to start making this pie for family functions...
I even got Cash to eat a slice, and he loved it, however he only had one slice because he said it was EXTREMELY RICH! That...it is, but that is why it's so DANG GOOD!

Peanut Butter Pie
1 1/2 Cup crushed chocolate cookies
1 Cup peanut butter
1/4 Pound cream cheese
3/4 Cup powdered sugar
2 T. Milk
2 T. Chopped peanuts (optional - I didn't use them)
2 2/3 Cups heavy cream, divided
6 Ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F. In a mixing bowl, combine the cookie crumbs with 1/4 cup of the peanut butter. Combine the mixture thoroughly and press into a 9" spring-form pan (since I lost mine in a move some where I just used a regular pie dish - worked wonderful!). Bake the crust 8-10 minutes.

In an electric mixer with a whip attachment, whip the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the remaining peanut butter, milk, and nuts. Whip for 1 minute. Turn the peanut butter mixture into a mixing bowl. Whip 2 cups of the heavy cram and fold into the peanut butter mixture.

Pour the filling into the prepared crust and refrigerate for 2 hours or until the pie is set.

In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the chocolate with the remaining cream, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove from the heat, and cool for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the pie from the spring-form pan and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pour the chocolate topping over the pie, covering the top and sides completely. Refrigerate the pie for 2 hours or until the chocolate coating is set.

Best if you can let it set up overnight. My own preference.

4 comments:

Mrs Buchanan said...

It was so good! We will definitely have to start making it once in a while. It was extremely rich so make sure you have a nice glass of milk with it!

Anonymous said...

Ethan would LOVE that! Sounds like sin.

Anisa said...

Yummmmmmm!!!!!

MinDee said...

Alright...Libdawg, you've got me salivating! You'll make this at our next girls outing? By the way when is that going to be???